Sunday, December 06, 2009

Happy Birthday, Ira

Today Israel Gershwin was born on New York City's East Side in 1896. We know him as Ira, and we all know his words...


Old Man Sunshine - Listen, you!
Never tell me Dreams Come True!
Just try it -
And I'll start a riot.
Beatrice Fairfax - don't you dare
Ever tell me he will care;
I'm certain
It's the Final Curtain.
I never want to hear
From any cheer-
Ful Polyannas,
Who tell you Fate
Supplies a Mate -
It's all bananas!

They're writing songs of love,
But not for me;
A lucky star's above,
But not for me.

With Love to Lead the Way,
I've found more Clouds of Gray
Than any Russian play
could guarantee.

I was a fool to fall
And Get That Way;
Hiegh ho! Alas! And al-
So Lackaday!

Love ain't done right by Nell;
However - what the hell!
I guess he's not for me.


He's knocking on a door,
But not for me;
He'll plan a two by four,
But not for me.

I've heard that Love's a Game;
I'm puzzled, just the same -
Was I the Moth or Flame...?
I'm all at sea.

It started off so swell,
This "Let's Pretend";
It all began so well;
But what an end!

The climax of a plot
Should be the marriage knot,
But there's no knot for me.



(more Ira Gerhwin songs here)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->