Thursday, January 14, 2010

UPS responds. In the sense that they sent me an email

So, I sent an email to UPS with a shorter version of the incident and concluding "If one InfoNotice number is not enough to cover all the packages, I do not think that one InfoNotice should be left for the customer."

I got an email back, from David L (boy, do I understand why they don't use their full names). In it he said the following:
  1. Somebody picked up the first package.
  2. They attempted to deliver the second package three times, and then sent it back.
  3. "In the future, we recommend that you please respond after a first or second delivery attempt if you are unable to receive a shipment."
This is so typical of business responses to complaints it makes me simultaneously want to scream, and sigh and wonder what the hell else I expected.

Dear David L:
  1. Yes, that was me. I told you that in my email.
  2. I told you all this in my email, too. I already knew it.
  3. I never got a third notice. Or a second notice (or possibly a first). I got one. And when I did - and this was the substance of my complaint, which you ignored totally - I did in fact schedule a will-call. UPS simply elected to apply that to only one of the packages on the InfoNotice.

  4. But what do you care? You're getting paid for all these attempts and re-deliveries. And for the reshipping of the package. You don't even bother to actually respond to the complaint.

    I don't believe for a minute that you care. Your "I apologize that we were unable to deliver your shipment" rings so very hollow.

Honestly. Like the shuttle dispatcher who lied to me about when the driver would be there, David L just won't admit that his company might be at fault - and doesn't care that his attitude is more annoying than the original problem.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 8:26 AM, January 14, 2010 Blogger Mark had this to say...

None of this surprises me, which is a sad commentary. The hallmark of most businesses is that they simply do not care about individual customers.

 
At 8:40 AM, January 14, 2010 Anonymous Anonymous had this to say...

Typical of customer disservice departments everywhere. Somehow, it's always your fault they can't do their jobs. -- Elizabeth

 
At 9:54 AM, January 14, 2010 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

And of course, to UPS I'm NOT the customer. I didn't (usually) pay THEM; the shipper does. True, this time I was also the shipper, but normally it's Barnes and Noble or whoever, not me. So they doubly don't care.

 
At 1:12 PM, January 14, 2010 Blogger Barry Leiba had this to say...

They'll care if we stop ordering from companies that use their services, and we tell the companies why we aren't ordering from them. Unfortunately, not enough people will do that for it to make a difference.

In this case, I think you should demand that they refund the re-shipping charge, and take it as high as you have to to make it happen... realizing that you might not have the time nor inclination to bother.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->