Friday, February 12, 2010

Anchorage Corvids

I could have called this 'Birds in Anchorage' but you know what? Except for a few pigeons and one owl (or maybe hawk, it was twilight and he was sitting far off), the only birds I saw I saw in Alaska that weren't in a cage were ravens and magpies. The ravens were everywhere, and paid people little heed - even people in pickups driving right at them - but the magpies were few and definitely didn't want to stay still long enough for their pictures to be taken. The only ones I got any shot at were at the Wildlife Conservation Center, hence the wire fence.

Ravens, by the way, have the coolest voices - they sound nothing like crows - and seemed slightly wacky; not only did they tumble in flight, but they were always jumping on each other and I even, once, saw one dropping ice from a light pole onto other ravens walking around underneath him...

magpie leaping off stump

magpie

raven

raven

raven on bench

raven on becnh

raven on lightpost

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 11:42 AM, February 12, 2010 Anonymous Mike had this to say...

I love how common both Ravens and Magpies are in Anchorage. I'm surprised you haven't seen many Bald Eagles.

 
At 11:20 AM, February 14, 2010 Blogger eileeninmd had this to say...

Cool shots of the Ravens and I like the Magpies. I got to see them in Yellowstone!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->