Thursday, February 25, 2010

A new one on me

Today's Final Jeopardy clue:
"Kings play chess on finely grained sand" is a mnemonic for a system devised by this scientist.
It's Linnaeus, because the system is taxonomy (kingdom phylum class order family genus species).

What's odd is that I never heard that mnemonic before. Staring at it, I figured out what it had to be in about 15 seconds, so I got the answer right. But it's a new one to me - absolutely new. There are only 19 ghits for it, and some of them don't count (they're just a "kings" page in some listing of words).

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 7:46 PM, February 25, 2010 Blogger AbbotOfUnreason had this to say...

Maybe it's made up. Made me think of the current Wondermark comic.

 
At 8:25 PM, February 25, 2010 Blogger Barry Leiba had this to say...

I, too, have never heard of it. And I never saw the need for a mnemonic for that one; it was easy for me to remember "kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus, species."

"Eli the ice man," on the other hand, was a mnemonic I couldn't have lived without.

 
At 8:09 AM, February 26, 2010 Anonymous Q. Pheevr had this to say...

King Philip cussed out five Girl Scouts!

 
At 6:30 PM, February 27, 2010 Anonymous Anonymous had this to say...

I don't like these sorts of mnemonics much, but as they go this isn't a bad one. It's metaphorically appropriate that it starts off with kings and ends up talking about fine grained sand to represent fine grained divisions. Playing chess doesn't represent anything much, though; could just as easily be "kings party continuously".

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->