Monday, June 14, 2010

First time!

It was a hot, gray day today. The kind of close, sultry day that just cries out for a thunderstorm to break the heat, but cries out in vain - although it has just started raining now, three and half hours later. I was walking towards the pond when I spotted a heron beyond the small willow. I thought it was a green heron - I saw one last week, getting some not very good photos of him. (One of those is below...)

But, as you have probably guessed, it wasn't. Nor was it the great blue who hangs around the pond (a shot of him below, too). I knew that as soon as I got a good look. It wasn't anything I've seen before - not just around here, but ever, except in my sister's photos from Florida. It was a Yellow-crowned Night Heron, my first, and a bird I didn't even know we had around here (the guide says we do, though in the coastal areas, which we're just a bit inland to be, I'd have thought. But here he is!).

green heron in willow tree

great blue heron and reflection

yellow-crowned night heron

yellow-crowned night heron

yellow-crowned night heron and reflection

yellow-crowned night heron

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 12:14 AM, June 26, 2010 Blogger flowergirl had this to say...

I did not know that herons are seen so far north. Very nice pictures!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->