Monday, September 13, 2010

Hawk!

I'm really only carrying my camera to work so I can use it on the way home nowadays; it's too dim in the mornings, the shots are very grainy. See, for instance, the goldfinch I posted this weekend, and now today... after all, I'm not going to resist a shot just because it might (probably will) not turn out perfect. So, that's to say that as I walked by the fence line I caught out of the corner of my eye a great white wing flutter in the parking lot. Probably a gull, I thought, but I checked - and whatever it was was facing off against a squirrel, which had run under a car and was chittering and screaming while another squirrel unfroze itself and ran for a tree.

Well, the bird turned out to be a hawk - a red-tailed, I'm pretty sure - well, no. A juvenile Cooper's hawk, Mike says and that fits much better, especially the tail and breast! He stalked around the parking lot for a moment or two, then flew up to sit on the fence, then in a tree, another tree, on the corner of the building, and finally gave up and left.

These aren't great shots - the one of him across the parking lot on the building is really grainy (the one of him on the asphalt is flat out horrible, my camera focused on the rails!), - but you can see him - pale breast, long tail, dark wings and face. Beautiful boy.

red-tailed hawk

red-tailed hawk


red-tailed hawk

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 2:35 AM, September 14, 2010 Anonymous Software Development India had this to say...

Isn't it looking very cute???? Thanks Ridger for sharing this with us.


____________________________________
Software Development India | Corporate Stress Management Training

 
At 10:45 AM, September 18, 2010 Blogger Larry had this to say...

Nice catch Karen! It just goes to show that one never wants to assume that the bird you see out of the corner of your eye is the most common possibility.

I always enjoy watching raptors and to watch the juveniles learning to hunt is always fascinating.

Hawk identification can be tricky, especially with immature birds. The white breast with distinct chocolate stripes and the gray and dark striped tail help ID this bird. The pale golden eye also helps with the young Cooper's Hawk ID.

 
At 6:55 AM, September 25, 2010 Anonymous Anonymous had this to say...

Congrats on your sighting. Even when the photos are a little blurry, they help a lot to ID a bird!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->