Saturday, September 18, 2010

Mystery Yellow Bird

This is a yellow something, all right. But I don't know what, exactly. The closest I can find is a Yellow-breasted chat, but that should have a white stripe on its face, which this doesn't. But I'm going to guess that's what I have here - in the early dawn by the edge of the pond, flicking from bush to tree and then gone.

After getting several guesses, I think Grant has it: young male Common Yellowthroat.

yellow breasted brown bird

yellow breasted brown bird

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 1:27 PM, September 19, 2010 Blogger Anne Jacobs had this to say...

I can't quite see the eye ring or the bill but it looks like it might be a Nashville warbler. Pretty.

 
At 2:55 PM, September 19, 2010 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

On Facebook someone suggested a yellow-throated warbler (and someone else said "warblers are hard!"), but it seems to lack the wingbars, etc, of that.

Nashville I had dismissed since the map in my guide makes it look like they're essentially Canadian, but the words (which I have just now looked at) say "breeds south to western Maryland". Well, I'm in central Maryland, but that doesn't seem unlikely.

 
At 6:59 PM, September 19, 2010 Anonymous Grant McCreary had this to say...

Looks like a first year male Common Yellowthroat.

 
At 9:10 PM, September 19, 2010 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

Grant, I think you're right - the legs look right and the age would explain the shading along the face. Cool - thanks!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->