Sunday, September 05, 2010

The Week in Entertainment

Film: The Extra Man - This movie was funny, but there was more. Kevin Kline was brilliant as the extremely peculiar Henry Harrison, and the movie had more depth than I was expecting.

DVD: A couple of seasons worth of Dalziel & Pascoe (those really short British seasons). I was right, they've gone off on their own after "On Beulah Height", which is giving us two different "histories". I had guessed that since they weren't doing my favorite (not just favorite D&P novel, but one of my favorite novels ever), Pictures of Perfection, that Wield wouldn't get his life partner, but on the other hand they've given him a social life, which is nice. And Ellie left Pascoe - they got a divorce. Don't know if they couldn't keep or didn't like the actress, or if they didn't like the character, but I was just as glad as I was never fond of Ellie.

TV: Futurama - the hundredth delivery! w00t! And, as Zoidberg says, "Hooray! A happy ending for the rich people!" Too bad the season's over... But it was great to have new ones. Psych - "Criminal profiler? That sounds like one of those job titles that only exists in cheesy tv shows." "No argument from me. What do you do?" "I'm a psychic detective." Plus, I love how they play with the credits and the theme song. Shawn 2.0, new cover of the song. Funny. Leverage - A glimpse in Sophie's past, but an unclear one. And another nice fight from Eliot. Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead - it's been a very long time since I saw this. I'd forgotten that Dreyfus was in it. "We do on stage the things that are supposed to happen off - which is a kind of integrity if you look on every exit as an entrance somewhere else." Of course, despite brilliant performances by Oldman, Roth, and Dreyfus, the movie doesn't work as well as the play - it's just one of those talky (brilliantly so, but still) plays that simply shouldn't have been made into a movie, although I expect Stoppard never had as many people into stage theaters for one of his plays as he had into cinemas for this... (And it's not as bad as trying to make something like 84 Charing Cross Road into a movie. O.M.G. that was awful.)

Read: Finished Kraken, which is an excellent, excellent novel. What a peculiar London MiƩville has conjured for this story, and what a great cast, especially Kraken-worshipping Dane and spirit union organizer Wati. And Marge. I love Marge.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->