Friday, February 25, 2011

Happy Birthday, George

George Harrison was born today. I always liked him best (I screamed "George!", or would have had I ever gone to a concert) and post-Beatles, I found him the most engaging, talented, and consistent of them all. His later albums are good - his very last one I reviewed like this when it came out
Brainwashed I always liked George best, and this album is probably the best one. It's pure George, the man who couldn't tell the difference between a hit song and a metaphysical speculation. Marwa Blues showcases his guitar playing, and his voice rarely sounded better than it does on Any Road and I'll Never Get Over You. And he and Dhani chanting the Naamah Parvati at the end of the album -- the perfect way to say 'goodbye, George...'
I have a double cd of Live in Japan (which is an energetic performance) and Beware of ABKCO!, (which is an engaging and sometimes odd compilation of acoustic backing and demo tracks, different looks at old favorites) put out in Russia. Live in Japan has 19 tracks, and ABKCO has 15. But the first cd has 21 tracks - all of ABKCO and six tracks from Live in Japan, and the second finishes up Japan. On an mp3 player that doesn't matter, but it's weird nonetheless.

I have quite a bit of his stuff, including the wonderful Concert for George ... He went too young, and I miss him. But thanks to technology, we'll always have his music.

It's been a long cold lonely winter, seems like years since it's been clear. Here comes the sun, here comes the sun and I say It's all right...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->