Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Happy Birthday, Tom

Tom and Dick SmothersBorn today in 1937 in New York, New York, Tom Smothers. I'm old enough to remember them on television (The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour) - that's Tom with the guitar, and Dick with the bass... Here's a bit from a long interview with Ken Paulson on "Speaking Freely":
And Dick was doing an introduction. I came out in a bunny suit with just my face showing with these big ears and a pink bunny suit. He says, "What are you doing?" I said, "I'm protesting our policies in Central America." "So, wearing a bunny suit doesn't make any sense." I said, "Neither does our policy in Central America." "Well, that looks stupid." "So does our policy!" "Well, get out of that bunny suit!" "We ought to get out of Central America!" Big laughs, very funny. And that was at dress rehearsal. The guy says, "Well, now, you've got to say at the end there, 'But it's up to our elected officials to get us out of this.'" (Laughter) So I said, "OK." Then that was even funnier, like they're gonna do that.
Thanks, Tom - for the songs, the jokes, and the passion.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 8:43 AM, February 02, 2011 Anonymous Mark had this to say...

It's hard to believe he's 73. I, too, remember watching their show, and that's the way I think of them now.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->