Thursday, April 28, 2011

It's up to the man, animals. It's up to the man

I'm posting this because it strikes me as very funny. But the very first thing I want to say is that I'm quite sure if I were writing extemporaneously in a language other than English, I'd make hilarious mistakes too. And note that the meaning is really quite clear.

That said, this was posted on Tet Zoo on an article about a tiny elephant in an Egyptian painting. "Mouflon", by the way, are big-horn sheep.
The survival of the Syrian's elephant is certain because it is not only artistically or paleontological documented, but historically, with plenty of written sources.

However, in my opinion, all the large animals that live in Europe now (deer, bison, mouflon, roes etc.) live there because the man decided it, otherwise they would become extinct.
Those two extra definite articles (the Syrian and the man) make this otherwise unremarkably accurate statement pretty funny.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 11:38 AM, April 29, 2011 Blogger Barry Leiba had this to say...

With "the Syrian's elephant", it's not the definite article that's the problem: it's the possessive.

 
At 1:17 PM, April 29, 2011 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

It's arguably both, but you're righter than I in singling one element out.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->