Friday, April 15, 2011

Not quite the right word

So, I enjoyed the cozy Chloe Boston mysteries enough to pick up the ones they hawk so relentlessly in the back of the book (two chapters of one of them, which made the ending of one Chloe Boston story seems quite abrupt, judging by how much book I had thought was left). These are called the Book of Dreams series, about someone who mostly works in the Narcoscape, the land of dreaming, rescuing coma patients and the like. They're - well, it's, I've not quite finished the first one - not bad, though a certain amount of suspension of disbelief is (obviously) required. But the authors (the Chloe Boston writer and her husband) occasionally use the wrong word.

And I don't just mean the wrong shade of meaning.

For instance, at one point a character gives "a plaintiff howl". And in a description of a pool table there's a reference to "queue sticks". (Amusingly, Google ads knows I want 'cue sticks' though Google offers me pages of complaints about "print queue sticks")

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At 3:18 PM, April 15, 2011 Anonymous Kathie had this to say...

"[A] plaintiff howl" and "queue sticks"?

Is the book self-published? I can't imagine a volume getting past professional copy editors and into print with such egregious errors.

 
At 3:44 PM, April 15, 2011 Anonymous Kathie had this to say...

À propos of self-published literature rife with typos, check out both the review and the author's viral over-reactions:

http://booksandpals.blogspot.com/2011/03/greek-seaman-jacqueline-howett.html

 
At 7:49 PM, April 15, 2011 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

I think it is - I have the Kindle edition and all that's on it is copyright the authors.

As I said it's not a bad story but it does need some copy editing. "Uh hu" anyone?

 
At 8:53 AM, April 16, 2011 Blogger Barry Leiba had this to say...

À propos of wrong words: viral? Kathie, did you mean "virulent"?

Yes, I agree with the other commentors about Ms Howett's excessive and unprofessional defense of her book. It moves me to rule her out entirely.

 
At 10:04 AM, April 16, 2011 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

"Viral" is quite possibly what she meant, considering that this thing has certainly gone viral!

 
At 10:48 AM, April 16, 2011 Anonymous Kathie had this to say...

Barry, of course you're correct! My only excuse is that my 3:44 PM post was merely an unedited blog postscript that I typed just before my nap (really!). If I were self-publishing something I'd written or translated, rest assured I'd have been far more careful in my (re-)wording.

However, the flap over the self-published author's VIRULENT over-reaction has certainly GONE VIRAL in certain quarters of the Internet :-))) I read about it on Monica Hesse's weekly chat on the Washington Post a few weeks ago.

 
At 10:58 AM, April 16, 2011 Anonymous Kathie had this to say...

"certainly GONE VIRAL in certain quarters"

Did I really just write that? Ten lashes with a wet noodle.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->