Sunday, August 28, 2011

Happy Birthday, Robertson

Robertson DaviesBorn today in Thamesville, Ontario, back in 1913 - a great Canadian writer, Robertson Davies. His four trilogies are enthralling, complex observations of life. And he gave me one of those little shocks that happen when your world-view is challenged: it was in one of his books that I read of Americans fleeing to Canada during the Revolution to escape political persecution. I knew, of course, that Tories (in our sense of the word) had existed, but this was the first book I'd ever read that cast one as the hero. I love his books - Fifth Business and The Lyre of Orpheus especially.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->