Tuesday, August 02, 2011

The Week in Entertainment

Goodness this is late! Traveling and conference prep has thrown me off schedule ...

DVD: Rango, odd but entertaining, though I generally have a problem with films that give me animals acting like people (clothes, tools, towns, banking systems) in what's meant to be the real world. Fortunately, since they only interacted with people - and at a remove - once or twice, I could overlook that. Most of the time, you don't even think about it.

TV: Leverage, a lovely episode giving the actors a bit more to do than usual as they played second characters in the flashback bits. Caught up on the Futurama eps on the dvr - generally quite funny. Village of the Damned which remains quite creepy no matter how many times I watch.

Read: A bunch of Peter Lovesey novels - Diamond and Mallin, no Cribb - prompted by a glowing review of Stagestruck. Also (re)read The Midwich Cuckoos - prompted by seeing the movie version. I haven't read it in decades, and I'd forgotten how much they changed in the book while not altering the basic story/message at all. Sometimes weird little changes (like a character's name) and sometimes quite ruthlessly hacking people (like the narrator, Zellaby's daughter, and Zellaby's son who was not, in the book, one of the Childred) right out, not to mention that in the book the kids aren't as young as they are in the movie. Then I (re)read Chocky, because it was there on the shelf and I remembered liking it very much. Still do. The Secret Diary of Alice in Wonderland, age 42 and a half, which is ... weird. Very good, very entertaining, but also quite hard to describe.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 11:53 AM, August 02, 2011 Anonymous Mark had this to say...

We watched Rango last night, and I liked it. The odd thing about it was that at many times during the movie, I was amazed at how life-like the characters appeared, and how irrelevant it seemed that they were animals. There were a lot of problems with things like scale (hares and lizards are not the same size) but it was easy to ignore that, since neither hares nor lizards can speak anyway. I wasn't sure I would enjoy it, but I did.

 
At 12:56 PM, August 02, 2011 Anonymous Kathie had this to say...

Did you decide to skip "Zen" or (like me) not enjoy it all that much?

I read where there's a new series of Inspector Lewis epis coming up, as well as a prequel titled "Endeavour" (re you-know-whom!).

 
At 1:02 PM, August 02, 2011 Anonymous Kathie had this to say...

Hmmm, "you-know-whom" or "you-know-who"? The latter when followed by a predicate for which it's the subject (as in, "you know who went") -- but when it's stand-alone and hyphenated to make a noun-substitute, is it merely the direct object of "know"?

 
At 11:48 PM, August 02, 2011 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

Re Zen, it's on DVR and I'll probably watch it, since another friend (and Lewis fan!) said she loved it.

Re whom, "you know whom" is technically correct, although I would argue that "you know who" is an idiomatic phrase and indeclinable. Pronouns are a remnant of our inflectional system, and they don't always work logically. For instance, "it's they!" "here comes he" ("here come I") "give it to her who must be obeyed" or "lucky I got stuck with the phone tree" none of them really work.

 
At 1:34 PM, August 03, 2011 Anonymous Kathie had this to say...

You're so right, sometimes the grammatically correct or logical choice sounds so clumsy. It's is a recurring problem for this translator. Sometimes a little looseness with the translation can help. E.g., "It is I who..." can be finessed into "I'm the one who..."

I don't actually hate "Zen," I just have more of a "Meh" reaction. OTOH, I'd never kick Robbie Lewis out of bed for eating saltines under the covers ;-)))))

 
At 9:16 PM, August 07, 2011 Anonymous Kathie had this to say...

I was shocked and saddened to read in today's news that "Zen" supporting actor Francesco Quinn -- son of Anthony, with a strong resemblance, only handsomer -- dropped dead of an apparent heart attack while jogging in Malibu with one of his sons. He was only 48.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->