Sunday, September 04, 2011

The Week in Entertainment

Really almost all I did this week was veg out and read...

BUT! Doctor Who! "Let's Kill Hitler" was quite good. I've never been overly enamored of River Song, but this episode was not just pivotal, it showed us (somewhat) of what she went through becoming who she is. And I did like the way she set up Rory and Amy.

Finished How to Live Safely in a Science-Fictional Universe, which was fascinating. Then read a bunch of mysteries - Ice Blue which was good enough despite the blood typing error; all the Retreival Artist novels by Kristine Katherine Rusch, which are excellent (though I warn you to read them in order because she spoils earlier books in later ones); all the Leigh Koslow series, which are amusing; all the Claresby shorts, also amusing but very light-weight; Divine Misfortune by A. Lee Martinez, quite a ride - funny and thought-provoking both; and finally, the new Inspector Gamache, A Trick of the Light, as well-written and entertaining as the ones that came before it, particularly good in the way Gamache and Jean Guy recover (or don't) from the traumatic shooting that ended the previous novel.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 11:14 PM, September 05, 2011 Anonymous Kathie had this to say...

You didn't watch "Inspector Lewis" on PBS Sunday?

 
At 7:45 AM, September 06, 2011 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

I didn't; it's on the DVR, but I've seen it - I have all of Lewis on DVD from the UK.

 
At 10:17 AM, September 06, 2011 Anonymous Kathie had this to say...

My devotion to Robbie apparently pales in comparison to yours :-)

 
At 11:25 AM, September 08, 2011 Anonymous Kathie had this to say...

Yesterday I stopped by my longtime Portuguese professor's office, and in the course of our conversation I inquired if he'd heard anything lately of a former student of his (and classmate of mine) for several semesters, whose first name is Freya. I added that I hadn't thought of her in quite a while, until I recently saw a TV program with a character by that name in the episode.

He replied that I must have watched "Inspector Lewis" Sunday evening too, as had he and his wife :-)

 
At 10:32 PM, September 23, 2011 Anonymous Anonymous had this to say...

One of the few downsides to my recent holiday in Europe (of which, you can read more and look at pictures on my blog) is that I missed about three episodes of Doctor Who. :-(

Worth it, though. I can always buy Doctor Who episodes but I can't buy Europe.

 
At 7:41 PM, September 27, 2011 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

Indeed. Doctor Who will come out on DVD. Probably even on reruns.

Europe won't.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->