Sunday, November 27, 2011

I now believe he still hasn't

The_Fellowship_of_the_Ring_Wallpaper
Viggo Mortensen had never read the books before he made The Lord of the Rings trilogy. I have to assume he still hasn't. He's quoted in a story about not being in The Hobbit:
"I'm not in it unless there is some last-minute plan they have. But I thought I would have heard of it by now ... Aragorn is half elf and also lives a couple hundred years or more and he could be in a bridge, but I have to assume it isn't going to happen."
Look, there is a set of people who think Orlando Bloom was right when he asserted that Legolas was roughly the same age as Arwen. I'm not among them, but he's not alone. But nobody thinks Aragorn is "half elf". Tolkien was pretty clear on that.

I mean, in a sense it's no big deal. Mortensen did a fine job in the movies. But in another sense it's pretty disturbing that he could have such a huge misconception as to why Aragorn had such a long life.

(ps: Bad enough they're putting Galadriel in it, but you could imagine she might be visiting Thranduil's court or something... maybe. But Aragorn? Really? Glad to see they've decided not to.)

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 10:14 PM, November 27, 2011 Blogger Brigid Daull Brockway had this to say...

They're probably putting in Galadriel for the same reason they made Arwen's role in the story so much bigger in the movie than it was in the books: to help break up the sausage fest.
I've always wondered why only a tiny handful of Tolkein's characters are women. Intentional? Does it say something about him, about his view of women's worth, or is that just the way it worked out? Know what I mean?
At any rate, I'm disappointed at Viggo's ignorance. Kind of reminds me of an interview I saw with Alecia Silverstone about Batman Forever in which she claimed to play "Albert's" niece. Instead of Alfred. That should have been a sign.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->