Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Hellas?

The category was "Countries' Local Names". The answers were Polska, Nippon, Magyarország, Hellas, and Suomi (Poland, Japan, Hungary, Greece, and Finland).

I knew them all - though, in typical Jeopardy! fashion, I admit I wouldn't have been able to come up with Hungary's name had that been the way the category worked, and would have said Rzeczpospolita Polska for Poland. But it seems to me those were pretty simple for a Double Jeopardy round. And it seems to me that having "Hellas" be a Daily Double was symptomatic of the way the show's quest* for another ratings-inspiring multi-show champion has led them, ironically, in the other direction: the questions are so easy that challengers unseat champs on a regular basis.

* This quest may not in fact exist but quite a few of the people I know who watch think that's what's happening this year.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 12:01 PM, December 20, 2011 Blogger Barry Leiba had this to say...

What I thought you were going to say with your title question is that “Hellas” is not the current local name... the "H" sound isn’t there in current Greek. “Ellas” (or “Ellada”) is the local name of the country.

Of course, when they give you “Hellas”, there’s no question about what they want, so it doesn’t really matter. (And I’ll avoid making any “Give ’em Hellas!” jokes, I will)

 
At 1:10 PM, December 20, 2011 Anonymous Kathie had this to say...

“Give ’em Hellas!”

Oh Barry, you beat me to the punch(line).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->