Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Herons!

Yesterday when I walked past the larger pond (in the light rain) there was a green heron in the water. (In the one shot is a redwinged blackbird, to show the heron's size: he's a little, compact guy. The feather is probably a crow's.) Today, at the muskrat's pond, I was startled by a huge bird lifting off as I approached - it circled and I saw it was a yellow-crowned night heron, which is rather uncommon around here. It landed on the dead tree and stood there for a while, long enough for me to get a few shots, though the morning was quite gray and misty. Then, this afternoon, there he was, back. It was sunny, so better shots.

green heron and redwinged blackbird

green heron


yellow-crowned night heron

yellow-crowned night heron

yellow-crowned night heron

yellow-crowned night heron

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->