Thursday, May 17, 2012

Siegfried

Jay Hunter Morris as SiegfriedLast night I saw Jay Hunter Morris sing Siegfried. That role is terribly challenging to sing, and Morris nailed it. But more than that, he gave us an engaging Siegfried, a teenaged, impetuous, slightly bratty kid, eager and happy like a big, fearless puppy. You don't feel like laughing when he says "Das ist kein Mann!" (That is no man!) upon getting Brünhilde's armor off her as she sleeps. You believe he's matured enough to tell her she's taught him to fear and then made him forget it, and needs to wake up. And the whole time with that voice! Wow.Jonas Kaufmann as Siegmund

(I can't wait for them to put out the DVD. Morris's Siegfried, Terfel's Wotan, and Kaufman's marvelous, marvelous Siegmund: wonderful.)

But I confess I did laugh a bit when Siegfried told Fafner "Nothung liegt dir im Herzen." I couldn't help but think "Und macht dir viel Schmerzen".
Bryn Terfel as Wotan
(For those who don't know it, there's an old German drinking song that goes "Du, du liegst mir im Herzen, du, du liegst mir im Sinn; du, du machst mir viel Schmerzen: weißt nicht wie gut ich dir bin. Ja, ja, ja, ja, weißt nicht wie gut ich dir bin." (You are in my heart, you are in my mind, you cause me great pain, you don't know how good I would be for you...)

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 3:05 PM, May 17, 2012 Anonymous Kathie had this to say...

My bilingual German-American grandmother (child of immigrants) taught me "Du, du liegst mir im Herzen" by rote when I was little -- hadn't heard it in ages.

BTW, should I infer that the "Siegfried" you saw was in a theater? Friends here have been attending the entire "Ring" too, and loving it. (In the classical music biz, we jokingly referred to it as the "Rinse Cycle" -- yeah I know, really dumb.)

 
At 5:12 PM, May 17, 2012 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

Yes, it's the Met's Live in HD encores of the Ring - all four not quite one right after the other; Rheingold last week and the other three this week.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->