Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Day One: Everett to Coeur d'Alene

My friend and I started driving from Everett to Laurel today. Here are a few pictorial highlights - mostly snapped from the car. First up - the dashboard, with Daniel Garmin, the GPS; a phone; and a 'Key Rex' mascot from qwantz.com

dashboard: GPS, phone, t-rex

Everett in the rain

Everett in the rain

Road signs - US 2, which we took most of the way; Wenatchee (hi, Dean's old home town!); Stevens Pass

Road sign - US 2 Wenatchee

Stevens Pass

Stevens Pass

Wenatchee National Forest

Wenatchee National Forest

Two rivers, the Skykomish and the Icicle

Skykomish River


Icicle River & forest

Leavenworth, a little failed mining town that reinvented itself as ... Bavaria!

Leavenworth

Leavenworth

Leavenworth

Leavenworth

Some landscape, and Welcome to Idaho!

landscape

Welcome to Idaho

And Coeur d'Alene, where we spent the night. We didn't see much of the town, of course, but the waterfront is nice and they have a lot of scattered sculptures.

Welcome to Coeur d'Alene

Coeur d'Alene lake

Coeur d'Alene heron sculpture

Coeur d'Alene me and moose

Coeur d'Alene octopus

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 10:04 AM, July 02, 2012 Anonymous Kathie had this to say...

1. In summer of 1949, one of my older uncles (an auto mechanic) ordered a new Packard direct from the factory in Michigan -- back when the conventional wisdom was that those were the best-made vehicles. Then he, his 20-year-old son and my dad drove all the way back to California, mainly on US2 (including stops at Glacier National Park and the still-new Grand Coulee Dam). My uncle shot color movies along the way, which I dimly recall seeing when my uncle brought his projector over to our house after he got the film developed, and we watched on a white bed sheet hung on one of our living room walls. Decades later my cousin got the film transferred to VHS and gave my dad a copy, which he enjoyed viewing over and over in his later years.

2. Was it REALLY so cool that one of you had to bundle up in a hoodie? I'd be happy to trade, because we've been melting here in the East, with no relief in sight (at least OUR power hasn't gone out, yet).

3. For all the camping we've ever done across the northern regions over many years -- from Washington state to New Brunswick -- I've yet to see a moose, not even a fine moose sculpture like that! Sometimes I wonder if they're as mythical as Babe the Blue Ox.

 
At 10:19 AM, July 02, 2012 Anonymous Kathie had this to say...

P.S. Tumwater reminds me of the old Olympia beer commercials...

 
At 8:50 PM, July 04, 2012 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

Yes, by the way: it was that cool in Coeur d'Alene. My friend was wishing for a real jacket - the hoodie and long-sleeved shirt worked for me. It's only 70 in the day in Everett today.

 
At 12:56 AM, July 05, 2012 Blogger Dean had this to say...

This Wenatchee native loves these pictures. I miss Stevens Pass. Can't help noticing that there are no shots taken between Wenatchee and the border. I can't find anything in that desert stretch worth taking pictures of, either. :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->