Monday, July 23, 2012

Birds in Nebraska

Here are some of the birds I've seen in Nebraska. Others seen but not pictured (either because they're common or I only heard them or I just couldn't get a shot) include crows, robins, sparrows, red-winged blackbirds, cardinals, a blue heron, several hawks (mostly red-tailed, I think) and turkey vultures. Of these here, all were at Stuhr except the red-headed woodpecker who was at Ft Kearny.

First up are the domestics or ferals, then the wild ones, beginning with a rooster and his hens avoiding the heat.

rooster and hens avoiding heat

Some weird mongrel ducks at Stuhr. These - and the koi - were utterly expecting to be fed. Unfortunately, we didn't have any quarters to buy their food...

weird ducks

ducks and fish

a duck drinking

A family of Canada geese

geese

A killdeer

killdeer

A flicker - drinking, then on a tree

flicker drinking

flicker drinking

flicker drinking

flicker on tree

This female grackle has all the attitude, but she's having a bad hair day!

female grackle

I'm not sure what this one is. I think I should, but ... I don't. (edited to add: Of course I do; it's a juvenile robin, duh.)

don't know

don't know

A female wood duck

female wood duck

A red-headed woodpecker (a first for me)

red-headed woodpecker

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->