Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Day Seventeen: Grand Island to Laramie

So today we got up early and drove just over 400 miles to Laramie, Wyoming. (It's a good thing we didn't pick Cheyenne, since it's Frontier Days there and the town is packed.) It was a long, hot day - the heat is supposed to break tonight in Nebraska, I hope it does - but uneventful till just before Laramie when the sky clouded up and the rain came. I'd almost forgotten rain - okay, not really, but I'm sure they'd kill for it a little further east. The guy at the hotel said it's been raining every afternoon for a while...

This is the Grand Platte River Road Archway Monument, and it's rather startling to see across I-80 in the early morning.

Grand Platte River Road Archway Monument

The drought is really hurting the crops that don't get irrigated

dead corn

A Pony Express station site that we didn't see

Pony Express station site

And the Platte - always flat and shallow - is very much the latter now

the Platte

This dino has fallen and if he can't get up, he'll be a fossil. Or Sinclair oil.



That's looking out into Colorado (looks like Nebraska, doesn't it?)

Colorado

Although the heat is nasty, I'm very glad we're not driving across here in January!

road closed if flashing, prepare to exit

This part of Nebraska looks different - it's not flat, and it's mostly cows instead of corn.

cows

rocky landscape

Welcome to Wyoming!

Wyoming welome sign

And just over the state line - I'd have let this wait for the Wyoming birds, etc, post later on but it's a first for me - a Eurasian collared dove.

Eurasian collared dove

Really? I mean, really?

Curt Gowdy State Park

I hope the cows can't read!

pasture sign of 'beef it's what's for dinner' slogan

Rain! After all those hot, dry days in Nebraska and Iowa, very welcome - though it did come down very hard for a short while. Lots of lightning and thunder, too. Exciting.

rain

Wind turbines (there are a lot of them out here) in the rain

wind farm in rain

Rain on the rocky landscape coming into Laramie

rocky landscape

The storm line - quite clear!

storm line

And the view out our window, as the sky clears and the night comes on

clearing sky

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 8:58 AM, July 25, 2012 Anonymous Mark had this to say...

It's so great that you're getting a long trip like this. I have seen some of the very things you show here. I sure wish I was traveling out that way right now.

 
At 3:36 PM, July 30, 2012 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

I really enjoyed this trip. Saw a lot of places I'd never seen before, and plenty I'd always wanted to.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->