Monday, August 20, 2012

Credit where it's due

Clearly Rep. Akin's biology is pretty screwed up. But in one thing you have to give him credit. He's consistent in his (mistaken) belief, even though he's using a really bogus claim - the forcible rape doesn't cause pregnancy, via magic or God or something (one which, I might add, he neither made up nor is alone in holding) - to make himself feel better about it.

I mean, where does someone like, say, Ryan, who claims to believe that abortion is murder and that a fertilized egg is a human being, find the nerve to say it's okay to kill people because their father was a rapist?

I don't share Ryan and Akin's belief. But I know which one of them I think really believes it.

(That said, I'm appalled that Akin is on the House Science and Technology Committee. I mean, I know it's Republican Science, but still.)

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 12:29 AM, August 21, 2012 Anonymous Kathie had this to say...

Isn't this also pretty much Weingarten's argument, as well? (not that I agree with Gene on a number of matters, but this logic is consistent).

 
At 5:24 PM, August 21, 2012 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

I don't read him much (hardly at all) because I just don't think he's funny, so I don't know if you mean he thinks like Akin or he argues like me about Akin et al's thinking.

 
At 11:23 PM, August 21, 2012 Anonymous Kathie had this to say...

Gene's a pro-choicer who thinks that abortion foes who aren't "all in" re banning abortion are hypocrites. Sometimes I think he's funny, but (like you) other times not.

 
At 5:49 AM, August 22, 2012 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

Ah. Well, I believe he's right. Unless you think it's okay to murder the post-born because of who their father was, how can you make exceptions for the pre-born? For most abortion opponents, it's about punishing the woman for her choice to be sexually active, so for them a rape-and-incest exception is logical. They just don't say it, because "punishing women" doesn't sound good out loud anymore.

But the RNC just voted on a platform that's right at home with what Akin said - barring the bad biology for an excuse - so the whole "OMG he should quit!!!" from Romney et al is just flaming hypocrisy. He broke the unwritten rule - don't say it out loud - and that's not enough reason for him to quit. I mean, he's not a newbie; Missourians knew what he was like when they chose him in the primary.

 
At 12:39 PM, August 22, 2012 Anonymous Kathie had this to say...

Flaming indeed, Ridger!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->