Sunday, September 30, 2012

Happy Birthday, Moveable Type


Yes - today is the anniversary of the first volume of the most influential Bible ever published: the one printed with Johan Gutenberg's moveable type - in 1542.

It was the beginning of a new age - an age of widespread information and literacy, and an end to the Church's monopoly on knowledge. The new printing process fueled the Renaissance and was a major catalyst for the scientific revolution. It may even have midwifed the Reformation. In short, it facilitated, if not outright produced, the end of the Middle Ages.

It is estimated that more books were produced in the 50 years after Gutenberg's invention than scribes had been able to produce in the 1,000 years before that.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 5:18 PM, October 07, 2012 Blogger -blessed holy socks, the non-perishable-zealot had this to say...

While I'm a Roamin' Catholic and I do believe we should close Darfurget, I DO NOT simply believe we should close our eyes and forget the Upstairs Eternity God has so lavishly bestowed on U.S. I believe also both sides add a lotta spin to the crass news, so I look not to the whorizontal, but to God who bespeaketh nthn but the Truth. Lemme explain --- If God doesn’t exist, why do you hate Him so much? If God does exist, why don’t you follow us Home to Heaven Above if you‘re gonna croak as I am? How long do we have to enjoy this finite existence? 77ish, measly years? Compared to the length and breadth of eternity, 77ish years is like the micron of a nanometer in the whole, bloody, universe. Why don’t we have a BIG-ol, rokk-our-holy-soxx, party-hardy celebrating our resurrection for many eons? Heaven TOTALLY kicks-ass for eternity. Yes, God’s odd, yet, aren't we? Thank you proFUSEly, for the wick is running out on U.S. _thewarningsecondcoming.com_

 
At 5:40 PM, October 07, 2012 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

Goodness, you couldn't find a freethought post to preach on? I'm tempted to delete this, but I won't ( though if you keep posting irrelevant comments - what does this have to do with Gutenberg? - I will)just so I can say your perfervid incoherence isn't particularly persuasive. Your "explanation" is just Pascal's Wager, which is worthless. What if the pagans are right? Why don't you follow the Triple Goddess?

I don't hate God. Do you hate unicorns, Thor, or Bertrand Russell's teapot? I do hate the Church, because I think it has done enormous damage. And I'm not crazy about believers who don't keep their faith to themselves and use it to destroy the lives of their fellow humans. God's not odd, he's nonexistant.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->