Sunday, September 02, 2012

The Week in Entertainment

DVD: Yes, Boss with Shahrukh Khan and the adorable Juhi Chawla, a very enjoyable romcom about two ambitious people and one unscrupulous boss, one loyal friend, one jealous cousin, one deceived wife, and one ailing mother... "The Key to Time". Tom Baker was never my favorite doctor and Romana far from my favorite companion (though not by any means my least favorite - cough(Adric)cough, but it's a good mini-series, even if the McGuffin is largely ignored in three of the episodes, just being the ostensible reason the Doctor shows up when he does...

TV: Perception, a nice episode, though I can't say I care for the new boss. Futurama's season finale - loved the "Mutual of Omicron" bit, especially the salmon one, though the seals were funny too.

Read: The other two Manny Moons - Juvenile Delinquent was definitely of its time (and pretty patronizing about teeens), but Give the Girl a Gun was quite good. Also read The Beautiful Mystery, the latest of Louise Penny's Chief Inspector Gamache novel - and frankly, I wish I hadn't. Yes, it's beautifully written, and the sense of place is exquisite, but the murder wasn't riveting (I guessed the killer, because he was the clearly "least likely" suspect, and the one most likely to hurt the abbot by being guilty. But I didn't guess the motive, and when it was revealed I didn't believe it - didn't believe the monk would kill for that reason and didn't believe the prior would provide that reason. But most of all, I hate what Penny did to Jean-Guy Beauvoir. Shada, Gareth Roberts's novelization of Douglas Adams's unfilmed Doctor Who screenplay. I found it a lot of fun. Peter Lovesey's latest Inspector Diamond novel, Cop to Corpse, which (unlike the Penny) was quite good in all respects.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 2:58 AM, September 07, 2012 Anonymous Anonymous had this to say...

thanks

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->