Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Up into the building

up into the buildingI was at work that day, and spent much of it in a parking lot as they tried to evacuate our building in nothing flat. But, really, who am I, that anybody cares where I was or what I was doing?

Still, here's what I think about:


A man describing making his way down the stairs from the 67th floor of the North Tower:

"And then when we got to around the 35th floor we had to move over for the firefighters. I mean, we were all trying to get out, and here they came, up into the building."


Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 1:05 PM, September 11, 2012 Anonymous Kathie had this to say...

I was safe at home studying that day, but wondered why one of the planes flew within about 10 miles of us, and why they'd crash it into an empty field about an hour's drive away. I also dreaded that there was a fifth plane, and if so, where it currently was, where it was headed, and when it would get there.

 
At 1:11 PM, September 11, 2012 Anonymous Kathie had this to say...

Here's a reminiscence of that day by a local newspaper columnist:
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/opinion/tony-norman/91101-began-as-glorious-day-and-then-652746
Journalists, too, race up to (if not necessarily into) catastrophes from which most sane people would flee.

 
At 9:48 PM, September 11, 2012 Blogger Bonnie had this to say...

Tom Paxton wrote a wonderful song, "The Bravest" (good version on YouTube) -- "Now every time I try to sleep, I'm haunted by the sound / Of firemen running up the stairs as we were running down."

It still makes me weep. I hope it always does.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->