Monday, November 26, 2012

Distracted by the wrong thing

Category: The Book of Numbers (all the titles had a number in them). Clue: Solzhynitsyn's book desribing an inmate's 24 hours.

"A Day in the Life of Ivan Desinovich," says the first guy. Alex starts to say no and he corrects himself to "Denisovich." But Alex still says no.

Number 2 rings in. "A Day in the Life of Denis ... Denisonovich?" she can't figure how to end it. And Aex says no.

Third one rings in. "A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich," he says confidentely, figuring (probably) that the first one had taken too long.

But they'd all forgotten the category. It's One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich.

Argh. That would be a killer.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 10:05 AM, November 27, 2012 Blogger Barry Leiba had this to say...

I got it right from your first line, but not because I thought about the category: because I know the title of the book. I guess I'm a major Solzhenitsyn fan.

1. I note the difference in your transliteration (Solzhynitsyn) and mine (the usual one). You're transliterating the Cyrillic "E" to something closer to how it's pronounced in the name, yes? I always wonder which is better: consistency in transliteration, or similarity to actual pronunciation. And names are always dicey.

2. Have you read Solzh[e|y]nitsyn in Russian? If so, how do the translations compare to the originals?

 
At 10:25 AM, November 27, 2012 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

To be honest ... I misspelled it. Ack! I personally like to transliterate so the original can be recovered, but there's a lot to be said for producing something that sounds the same - the EV in Khrushchev and Gorbachev drives me crazy, for instance.

I must confess that the Great Russian Writer is very hard to read in Russian, though I have read Ivan Denisovich. (Gulag is unreadable in Russian even for many natives I know.)

 
At 9:09 PM, November 28, 2012 Anonymous Kathie had this to say...

And tonight some of the contestants occasionally lost sight of the name of one of the categories, "The Oakland 'Bs'" (sigh).

 
At 9:21 PM, November 28, 2012 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

I didn't even get home till 8... argh.

Too Many Meetings! I do have work to do, too!

 
At 1:55 PM, November 29, 2012 Anonymous Kathie had this to say...

It's an abomination when work gets in the way of the truly important things in life!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->