Monday, December 03, 2012

Close it down

While watching the Lady Vols trounce North Carolina on Saturday, I heard this from one of the announcers:
North Carolina needs to get some stops here to close this game down.
Considering that NC was, at the time, down by about 16 points, I was at first baffled: they were going to need a lot more than that. Then I realized what she had to mean by "close it down" (and my sister hasn't got a DVR but I'm pretty sure she said /kloz/ not /klos/) - get the score close.

That's very odd to me, even if it had been /klos/.

I wonder if it's got any currency at all in sports. A quick Google didn't show anything but the "shut down, turn off" meaning.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 5:41 AM, December 05, 2012 Anonymous Anonymous had this to say...

When I first read this yesterday your explanation made perfect sense to me.

I just now though glanced at the title as I was scrolling down looking for new entries, when it struck me that the speaker may have simply had a brain-mouth disconnect: "Close it up" makes perfect sense. Perhaps something distracted her and "down" came out instead of "up."

 
At 10:21 AM, December 05, 2012 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

You're probably right.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->