Sunday, January 06, 2013

The Week in Entertainment

Live: An absolutely splendidly sung Les Troyens. It was long (they did the whole thing, all five acts), and a woman on the subway afterwards was complaining it was too long. I hope she's not going to Parsifal - I am, Jonas Kaufman, yum. Of course, unlike Wagner, Berlioz is French, and you can't help but think things like "Man, Hector, another ballet?" Also, dress it up all you like, Dido in act five is basically "I'll kill myself! Then you'll be sorry!" Still, such wonderful music.

Read: A couple of Meg Landons, including one I hadn't read before - Some Like It Hawk. I enjoy that series a lot.

1 Comments:

At 11:23 AM, January 09, 2013 Anonymous Kathie had this to say...

I understand that in the mid-1800s ballet in French opera was so entrenched that Paris Opera refused to perform even great Verdi operas unless the composer provided ballet music and allowed the singing and plot action to stop for the dancing. Harsh!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->