Tuesday, March 26, 2013

She didn't like Gage?

I'm reading a romance/cozy called The Final Arrangement (I doubt I'll read more by the author unless it really improves; I understand why the sleuth always hooks up with a cop - ease of plotting - but the whole "he's so gorgeous I'm drooling the second I see him, and within two days we're obviously an item" school of writing annoys me). The protagonist is inconsistently written, plus she (in the tradition of the worst of the genre) and the cop are really slow to grasp that someone's after her. (In those two days her van is hit, two fires are set at her house, someone makes a "breather" call, and two tires on her van just spontaneously blow up - and a red pickup is seen at least twice while this is going on?)

The author also has a  habit of capitalizing the quote tag after question marks or periods, which is noticeable enough when it's a name like Alex or the pronoun I, but really catches your eye when it's a different pronoun ("What are you doing?" He said.).

But when I typed that into my phone I discovered that it does that automatically. Probably her software does too, and she just never noticed.

Something else which is very funny:  she apparently changed the murder victim's name from Gage to Derrick. Why do I think that? Because words like "enDerrickd" and "enDerrickment party" keep showing up. Too funny.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 11:00 AM, March 28, 2013 Anonymous Kathie had this to say...

Is this a piece of self-published fan fiction? I recall reading an article on the phenomenon a year or two ago (possibly in the Washington Post) -- along the lines that the stigma was falling aside -- plus reader comments indicating the vast range of quality in the genre. Gotta admit that "enDerrickd" and "enDerrickment party" are arguments against self-publishing and in favor of professional (or even capable amateur) editors.

 
At 12:42 PM, March 28, 2013 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

It may or may not have been self-published (probably was, but can't tell for sure, since the publisher listed has a different name from the author), but it's certainly not fan fiction. By definition, that's about somebody else's creation, not your own.

 
At 9:44 PM, May 28, 2013 Anonymous Ashlee had this to say...

I am reading that book now and i couldn't for the life of me figure out what enDerrickd meant! so i googled it and your post was the top on the list. That makes sense! I was beginning to think it was some cryptic Mormon thing I wasn't privy to. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->