Sunday, March 03, 2013

The Week in Entertainment

Live: Parsifal with Jonas Kaufmann in the title role and René Pape as Gurnemanz - both of them were amazing. But I find I have problems when the libretto tells me one thing (like "forest") and the staging is showing me something else (like a wasteland).

TV: Wednesday's trio: "You can't date my sister!.. I'm gonna date your mom!" "You better get in there, 'cause she just met someone on Christian Mingle." But OMFG ROFL for real - Reggie Jackson doing The Graduate with the alpaca.And Psych is back!. Yay! Of course, Henry did not die, but wow Sean went off the deep end on this one. And I loved the FBI guy saying to them "It took us six months to get this far" and Sean's response "Really? "Cause it took me all of three hours." And Lassie - he really came through.

Read: Better Nate Than Ever, an adorable novel about a boy heading for NYC to take an audition - out of the blue, with no experience, just an enormous love for musical theater. Two by Jonathan Kellerman - Mystery and Guilt, both very good entries in the series. Amazon has put some Perry Mason novels on Kindle, and I read a couple (The Case of the Lucky Loser and ... Silent Partner) which were quite good mysteries.

2 Comments:

At 6:30 AM, March 04, 2013 Anonymous Anonymous had this to say...

On the other hand, having Kundry open the shrine with the grail, and the subsequent mingling of the women and men, also violate the stage directions, but I thought they were a brilliant reclamation of the story from its misogynistic origins. Moreover, Parsifal asks whether the Flower Maidens, whom he saw wilting, were also longing for redemption, so the ending merely suggests that yes, they were.

 
At 8:30 AM, March 04, 2013 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

This is true - and I really did appreciate those differences. But stage directions aren't available to the audience, and so there isn't the immediate contradiction.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->