Sunday, April 28, 2013

For some values of 'wholesome'

In Mere Brother Ki Dulhan (My Brother's Bride), Kush (the 'me' of the title) tries to convince Dimple (the 'bride') that they can't run away together. "Why?" she demands, and he says, "Because I'm not Aamir Khan and you're not Juhi Chawla from Qayamat se Qayamat Tak. What were you thinking? We'd climb a mountain a make a house there? And I'll work in a factory and you'll bring lunch to me tied in a cloth?" (Her response? "Shut up!")

Well, I hadn't heard of that movie, and I like Aamir Khan and adore Juhi Chawla, so I looked it up. It's a smash hit, and one of the Top 25 Must See Films according to India Times. But surely you wouldn't cite them as an example of successful elopers! The reason they ran away in that movie? Their families are at war: Khan is the son of a man who murdered the man who got his sister pregnant and dumped her, while Chawla is the niece of said murdered man.  It ends in Chawla's being shot by her uncle's henchmen and Khan committing suicide and dying beside her.

What startled me? It won the Golden Lotus (National Film Award) the year it came out ... for Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->