Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Show Shown

The Clue Crew person (I forget which one) posed in front of Shoshone Falls, asking us to guess the state they're in (it's in?), which is Idaho. But she pronounced it Show-Shown Falls (/ʃoʊˈʃoʊn/). I believe that may well be the first time I've ever heard it said that way.

I wondered if it was an acceptable variation, so I looked it up. Hah! It's not. The two listed are Shuh-Shownee and Show-Shownee - \shəˈshōnē, shōˈ-, -ni\ in Merriam Webster's pronunciation spelling, or /ʃəˈʃoʊniː/, /ʃoʊˈʃoʊniː/) in IPA. Myself, I've always said the first, but I've heard it both ways.

Just not the Jeopardy! way.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 8:35 PM, May 01, 2013 Anonymous Kathie had this to say...

I found that strange too -- although we Westerners are accustomed to our native American place names being mispronounced, or (cough cough *Yolo* cough cough) mocked -- but not to the extent that I couldn't reason out the answer, er question, to the clue since I recognized Twin Falls immediately.

 
At 9:02 AM, May 02, 2013 Anonymous Mark P had this to say...

I can't remember where I learned the Show-Shonee pronunciation, but it's so ingrained it seems totally natural. I suspect it comes from watching Westerns from the '30s and '40s back when I was a little kid.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->