Sunday, September 15, 2013

The Week in Entertainment

Film: The utterly splendid The Patience Stone, whose star, Golshifteh Farahani, is mesmerizing.

TV: Thanks to Kathy's comment last week, I found Silk on On Demand, and she's right: it's superb. What wonderful characters and a great ensemble cast. I hope there'll be more of it. Last Tango in Halifax was on my DVR, so I saw the first part of it (anything with Derek Jacobi gets at least a look), and I loved it. A bit predictable, but he's so good you don't care. The Newsroom - election night! Woohoo!

Read: Strangeways to Oldham, a fairly funny mystery about a couple of pensioners in a small English town solving the murder of a third. A couple more old mysteries by JJ Connington. The Red Queen Dies, an extremely good alternate-world (just a little bit alternate) SF mystery. Started So Wrong for So Long, Greg Mitchell's book about "how the press, the pundits, and the president failed in Iraq", which I will probably read in bits since it's not pleasant reading, and Scalzi's new collection The Mallet of Loving Correction, which is made to be read in pieces.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 11:24 PM, September 15, 2013 Anonymous Kathie had this to say...

Glad you didn't find either "Silk" or "Last Tango in Halifax" a waste of time. There's a second series of "Silk" already in the can (four double episodes):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silk_%28TV_series%29

Re Derek Jacobi (Sir now, although he humbly doesn't use it), I thought one of the best episodes ever of the sitcom "Frasier" was when he guest-starred as an erstwhile Shakespearean whose performance had enthralled the brothers at prep school, and who decades later was enjoying celebrity in a "Star Trek" sequel-like TV series.

BTW, did you recognize Nina Sosanya in both series? She's mutineer Kate in "Silk" and Caroline's discarded lover (also Kate) in "LTiH." Husband and I love to try to outdo one another in spotting actors who've been in previous series (I won this round!).

 
At 5:01 PM, September 19, 2013 Anonymous Kathie had this to say...

Are you watching "Foyle's War" (the Cold War years)? If not, I assume you can still catch up on this past Sunday's season première online. One problem is that the men all dress alike, and too often are filmed in semi-darkness.

 
At 5:12 PM, September 19, 2013 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

I don't actually like Foyle's War. Every season I try an episode, and it's still boring me silly. à chacun son goût, I suppose.

 
At 8:57 PM, September 19, 2013 Anonymous Kathie had this to say...

What I like about the Foyle character is that, like Inspector Lewis, he possesses adult social maturity and is principled.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->