Sunday, September 29, 2013

The Week in Entertainment

TV: Modern Family, back with two funny episodes - so glad Cam and Mitch are getting married! The Neighbors - funny and a bit poignant. But I love that Amber was smiling in the photo! And The Middle is back, too. "He's only 42 minutes away!" - and context rules that sentence. (And everything else.) Broadchurch - I didn't expect him to be the killer, but it does all make sense. And a nice ending, too. Orphan Black - these people are creepy. Who the hell leaves Barbie dolls around? Yes, I get it's the clone thing, but still... creepy waste of effort. Why scare them so much? Can't find them all? Yes, I'm sucked in. Sleepy Hollow is still intriguing, though I must object to the notion that a witch would be identified as such on her gravestone in the freaking church cemetery, even if it was decoy grave. Not to mention that American witches weren't burned, they were hanged. (Giles Corey was pressed to death, but that's because he wouldn't confess.) I also gave the new Michael J Fox Show a try - it's cute enough, but it seems like another wacky-family sitcom, with added Parkinson's, and I don't know that I need that.

Read: All six and a half of the Iron Druid books. My gripes about Hearne's misunderstanding language terms notwithstanding, this is an engaging, fast-paced, and fascinating series. Can't wait for the next book (but will have to, since it's not coming until summer). I did take a break after the third one ('cause Atticus had really annoyed me) and read Aunty Lee's Delights, a delightful cozy set in Singapore, before returning to the Druids, Aesir, and Olympians. Fortunately, the Milk, an adorable children's book by Neil Gaiman. And began This Is How You Die, the second Machine of Death collection. So far, some excellent ones in the mix ("Shiv Sena Riot" and "Screaming, Crying, Alone, and Afraid" are my favorites so far).

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 1:56 PM, September 30, 2013 Anonymous Kathie had this to say...

Hope you haven't given up yet on "Last Tango in Halifax" -- can you still catch up? -- as we thought last night's episode was much less soapy, and depicted the adult characters in a generally more responsible, adult light.

 
At 2:41 PM, September 30, 2013 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

Oh, no; I haven't at all. It's on my DVR. I just didn't get to it over the weekend. Looks like I'll have plenty of time this week, though...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->