Friday, October 18, 2013

Alex, leave Russian alone, please

"Vy znaeeteee po ruskee?" Alex asks the contestant, who blinks in startlement before answering that yes, she does.

As I've noted before, Alex's pronunciation of Russian, despite his Ukrainian heritage, is dreadful. And that question? "po-russki" is an adverb meaning, basically, "in the Russian style". You can speak po-russki (говорить по-русски), and you can say something po-russki (как по-русски сказат?) but you don't know po-russki, you just know russkiy (yazyk) (знать русский язык).

(And I'm sure his Russian is better than my French, but then I don't go around acting like I know French...)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->