Sunday, October 13, 2013

The Week in Entertainment

TV: The Neighbors - I wish the duck & elephant show were real ... and "Oh my god, Alien vs Predator! Jackie, wait!" The Michael J Fox Show - again, perfectly cute but nothing special. But MJF, so I'll keep watching. Sean Saves the World - this one's getting cuter. The Middle - I loved Sue's breakdown in the fast food place (It's horrible). Modern Family - Poor Phil and all the egg/bird references. I also (on a friend's recommendation) tried out (thanks, On Demand!) The Crazy Ones and liked it well enough. The supporting cast holds their own with Robin Williams, and the set up is conducive to his brand of riffing humor. It's on the DVR list now. The Mentalist was (again) dominated by the Red John arc - I suppose I might as well stop saying that, right? Not a bad episode, though. (I knew the guy had killed himself, though; it was pretty clear that was why he was running from the cop.) I loved Rigsby's little congratulatory 'and the crowd goes wild' when Cho agreed with him - nice character moment. Sleepy Hollow is getting very complicated. I think I like it. Agents of SHIELD - this continues to be terrifically entertaining. And finally Last Tango in Halifax - wow. I liked that Alan doesn't seem to care and is, in fact, supportive, and is angry at the way Celia treated Caroline. When he told Gillian "Celia reads Daily Mail", that was funny. And those were definitely two awkward dinners. I felt so sorry for Alan - it's a long cry from "like heaven come to earth." But Celia came through in the end, for a real feel-good ending that I admit had me a little teary.

Read: Jhumpa Lahiri's new novel The Lowland, which was excellent, lyrical and haunting - it's no surprise it's a contender for major awards (Man Booker, National Book). And Ancillary Justice, which blew me away it was so damned good. Best science fiction I've read in years. Look for that one at awards time, too.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 12:34 PM, October 14, 2013 Anonymous Kathie had this to say...

Next weekend is supposed to be the Red John finale on "The Mentalist" (how long did it take them to figure out that plot line had run its course?).

Re "Last Tango in Halifax": if Caroline had been able to tell Celia on her own (i.e., Caroline's) terms -- perhaps with Alan there -- Celia might have taken it less badly, because she'd already had some inkling when Caroline was in college. The villain of this plot line was Caroline's estranged husband, who deliberately informed Celia out of revenge for maximum negative impact to both mother and daughter. Frankly, I was hoping he'd wind up with Judith, because they truly deserve one another (not in a good way, either).

 
At 12:46 PM, October 14, 2013 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

That's true about John. He's a complete waste of space - worse. And given how Celia ended up, you're probably right that it wouldn't have been as hard for her if Caroline had been able to tell her herself.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->