Friday, November 29, 2013

Black Friday

I'm in the top 15% of Americans by income. I'm not even close to rich - the top 2% have so much more money it's mindboggling - but at least 85% of the country makes less than I do. That means I really cannot comment on where other people should shop or when they should. My choices are born of privilege that others simply don't have.

I don't have to try and make $9 an hour ($18,720 a year) or even $15 ($31,200/year) feed and clothe and transport and educate and entertain my family.

I personally never shop at WalMart, but then I don't have to. And I don't have to shop on Black Friday to save some money. And that's why all these memes - gods, I must have seen 60 at least this week - about how Black Friday is evil and people who shop on it are evil or stupid and probably both just annoy the hell out of me. (And don't even get me started on the ones that say straight up you shouldn't want anything more than you already have. I mean, this is just that whole undeserving poor trope again: it's entirely possible to be sincerely thankful on Thanksgiving for what you have and still want to buy something else. Unless you don't plan to give anyone a Christmas present this year and don't want anyone to give you one, either, shut the hell up, okay?)

Ahem.

Personally, I wish everyone in the country made enough money that they didn't need to save a few hundred bucks today.

But they don't.

So if you're shopping today, I hope you get what you wanted and save the money you're trying to save. And come home safely.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 12:09 PM, November 30, 2013 Blogger Anne Jacobs had this to say...

Spot on! Thank you!

 
At 6:24 AM, December 02, 2013 Blogger Doug Wagner had this to say...

Thanks for sharing about your feelings and opinion.


Hiking Mount Kilimanjaro

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->