Sunday, November 17, 2013

The Week in Entertainment

Live: The Peabody Conservatory's production of The Dialogues of the Carmelites, at the Lyric. Someone has got some fine female students, particularly Alexandra Razskazoff (who was powerful as Blanche), and Huanhuan Ma as the new prioress, but several others as well. The men's roles are minor, but they were sung well, too, though they are young voices and it showed at times.

TV: Agents of SHIELD: I love Fitz. I truly do. Also, I really want to go to Tahiti now - "it's a magical place", after all! Sean Saves the World - his mother is über-annoying. The Middle, Modern Family, The Crazy Ones all were very entertaining this week. Michael J Fox Show, not so much. I'm not surprised it's been cancelled - it's got him, but he can't elevate the pedestrian plotting and writing. Torchwood: Miracle Day - finally finished it. Torchwood has always been way darker than Doctor Who, and this one was very much like that. But good; I liked it. I'm just not sure about that ending. It's not Jack's blood, and unless the Blessing just reset Rex willy-nilly and stupidly, he's got his own blood now, anyway. In fact, the more I think about it the less I like it... Ah, well. Orphan Black ended pretty powerfully. Alison really went bonkers, and "Proclone" is creepy. I really like this show, and it's a travesty that Tatiana Maslany didn't get an Emmy nomination.

Read: Several more Craig Rice comic noirs, but I discovered that while I adore the Malone books, the Bingo-and-Handsome, at least the first one, didn't do anything for me. Also read The New Cthulu: The Recent Weird, which had some excellent stories, and a few duds (like any anthology).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->