Monday, January 13, 2014

Didn't get it

Category: Asian Nations
Clue: In 1991 this became the first former Communist country to reinstate the monarchy, which it still has.

I didn't get it. I didn't have enough time to work my way to Cambodia.

But at least I didn't go with the first name that came to mind - Spain. It only meets one of the criteria (two if "reinstate" and "still has" are separate), being neither Asian nor former Communist (rather decidedly not former Communist), and reinstated their monarchy earlier than 1991 (much: 1978). I'm not sure why it was what I thought of, but it was.

One of the contestants said "Lithuania", which only meets the "former Communist" part. )I'd have rather left it blank or guessed wildly than said that - it's worse than Spain!) The others said "Viet Nam" and "South Korea", both of which left me blinking. 

I'd probably have said "Laos". It's not right, and at some level I'd have known that, but those 30 seconds do go by fast.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 10:49 PM, January 14, 2014 Anonymous Kathie had this to say...

It's so rare I beat you at this, so please permit a moment's gloating: I instantly thought of Prince Norodom Sihanouk, so "of Cambodia" came right thereafter. :-)))))))

 
At 10:23 AM, January 16, 2014 Anonymous Kathie had this to say...

At least you didn't suffer the self-inflicted mortification before millions of viewers of a more recent contestant who, faced with a clue re the war from which the last veteran died in 2011 at age 110, asked "What is the Civil War?" In all fairness I'm sure she simply panicked, but still I imagine she'll be haunted by that gaffe for the rest of her life!

 
At 3:51 PM, January 16, 2014 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

I know. If I ever get on the show, I'll dread that. Actually writing "Spain" and not realizing before the time is up how very stupidly wrong it is. Argh.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->