Sunday, August 24, 2014

The Week in Entertainment

DVD: Two (of four) episodes of Shetland, a well-done series based on Ann Cleeves's "Shetland Quartet" (Red Bones, Raven Black, Dead Water and Blue Lightning). They're filming more next year, going off on their own, I guess, since they've done all but one of the books (much like the Dalziel & Pascoe series did). Interestingly, I see the program originally broadcast them as two one-hour episodes per story, but they've been consolidated on the DVD as two-hour episodes.

TV: Doctor Who - yes yes yes. I love the new theme/title sequence, I think I'm gonna love the new Doctor, and Clara might actually turn into a real character before she leaves. Also? "I'm not your boyfriend." "I never thought you were." "I didn't say it was your mistake." Yes. And was that a Matt-Smith-Doctor Ganger mask they used when Capaldi disguised himself as an android? All in all, a very nice handover episode.

Read: Finished The Magician's Land, which was an utterly satisfying end to the trilogy. Lovely, lovely writing and a helluva story. Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami was delivered to my Kindle (from a pre-order) and I devoured it on the plane ride yesterday. It's one of the quiet, almost melancholy ones (unlike its predecessor, 1Q94), accessible and haunting. I also read Designated Daughters, a Deborah Knott novel; this one's almost overrun with her family, but still a nice little read.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 9:06 PM, August 31, 2014 Anonymous Adrian Morgan had this to say...

I'm surprised you like the the new theme. I'm surprised anyone likes it. I find it bland, half-hearted, completely lacking in excitement/passion.

The first two episodes of the season have been so-so in my opinion. Some good elements, some bad. The single worst thing about Episode One is that it had Strax in it. A reformed bad guy who "accidentally" commands people to surrender is a stupid idea which, as comic relief, got old long ago.

I do agree that Capaldi is doing a good job. I can see elements of classic Doctors 3, 4, 5 and 6 in his personality.

 
At 5:56 PM, September 01, 2014 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

Yes, a lot of 3 especially. As to the theme, I suspect you're in the majority. I like the time-ness of it, the chimes, and the graphics. I may grow tired of it, but right now I like it.

 
At 5:56 PM, September 01, 2014 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

ps - I'm over Strax myself.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->