Sunday, October 05, 2014

The Week in Entertainment

Nothing live this week - not after three last week!

Film: The Skeleton Twins - I enjoyed this tremendously. Both Hader and Wiig give top-notch performances and the story is poignant and edgy at the same time. Luke Wilson's character could have been played for laughs, but you end up feeling solidly on his side even while still liking the twins.

DVD: A few eps of Leverage and Scott and Bailey, the latter a sort of Cagney & Lacey-ish British cop show.

TV: Doctor Who, two eps. "The Caretaker" - I suppose his badgering Clara to go off with him isn't any different than the way Eleven used to run off with Amy and Rory, but for some reason it feels different. Anyway, I did like it. And then "Kill the Moon," which was kind of classic and very not so at the same time. (The utterly ridiculous science? Very so, by the way.) Probably I'm more in favor of the Doctor than not, but I didn't think he'd earned that slanging by Clara. Of course, I've never liked her, so... He needs his own companion, not some "impossible girl" whose whole character was "the one who saves the Doctor". This one needs to save himself.

Read: Another Dr. Thorndyke. Randall Munro's terrific What If? The anniversary edition of The Nightmare Before Christmas. And another early seasonal book, Nora Bonesteel's Christmas Past, two completely different short stories woven into one, a little funny, a little sad. Decided it was time to go back to America in the King Years, so am now about eight chapters into Pillar of Fire.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 11:37 PM, October 05, 2014 Anonymous Kathie had this to say...

I suppose you've already viewed the latest "Inspector Lewis" on DVD, but for us peasants tonight was the first episode of the latest series, since Robbie retired. How I missed him (although I'm jealous of Laura)...

 
At 11:22 AM, October 06, 2014 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

No, the DVD won't come till next month. But I can't stay up that late on a work night, so I'll be watching it this week. I'm so glad they brought it back; I adore Robbie.

 
At 3:12 PM, October 06, 2014 Anonymous Kathie had this to say...

In that case I won't spoil the plot by revealing yet what Hathaway was doing during the hiatus. However, once you've seen the episode, I'd like to know if you had the same interpretation as I did on that plot point.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->