Sunday, May 24, 2015

The Week(s) in Entertainment

The last two weeks have been really, really busy at work, and I've come home not wanting to do anything even the tiniest bit creative. Taking a deep breath this week before a two-week business trip to Anchorage, then another very busy two weeks and then vacation! Yay! Anyway, here's the last couple of weeks:

Live: Last weekend, Dirty Dancing the Musical at the Hippodrome, which was a blast. This weekend up to New York to see On The Twentieth Century with Kristin Chenoweth, who I am unreasonably fond of. It was a terrific show, pure Broadway. See it if you can get up there!

TV: And I realized I'd sort of mixed Dirty Dancing and Flashdance up in my mind, and never actually seen the movie, so I hunted it up on On Demand. It was good.

Read: Finished Traitor to His Class - loved this quote: "Stalin's promise of free elections in Poland might prove hard to enforce; Roosevelt was enough of a Democrat to know the means by which his own party prevented free elections in the American South, and he assumed that Stalin was at least as clever as that... And the mere promise ... was more than Churchill was offering India."Also got several preorders delivered so I devoured Dry Bones, a Longmire novel; Six and a Half Deadly Sins, the latest of the Dr. Siri novels (set in Laos in the 1970s ... how did I manage to miss the Sino-Vietnamese War of 1979????), which was quite good and really had me worried about the survival of several characters; Rock With Wings, the latest of the continuation of the Leaphorn/Chee/Manuelito novels by Tony Hillerman's daughter Ann (she's the one who brought Bernadette Manuelito front stage, and I'm glad of it). Also a few short stories in the "Iron Druid" series.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 11:04 PM, May 26, 2015 Anonymous Kathie had this to say...

Did you ever see Chenoweth in the semi-stage production of "Candide" on PBS? Phenomenal!

Will you be able to see Russia from your hotel? ;-)

 
At 6:18 PM, May 28, 2015 Anonymous Mark P had this to say...

This is great. I didn't know Tony Hillerman's daughter was continuing his stories. That's good news, because I was worried about what happened to the characters. Now I'm going to look them up.

 
At 10:45 PM, May 28, 2015 Anonymous Kathie had this to say...

Saw a commercial on CBS for the Tony Awards: this year's co-hosts will be Chenoweth and Alan Cumming. Should be brilliant, don't you think?

 
At 11:17 PM, May 28, 2015 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

Omg yes. I saw him in Cabaret just before it closed; he was magnificent. And I was glad I hadn't booked tickets to her show on Tony night!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->