Sunday, November 22, 2015

The Weeks in Entertainment

Live: A production of She Kills Monsters, a cute and entertaining play at Pellissippi State's theater. Also a concert of Telemann, Stravinsky and Tchaikovsky by the city's orchestra.

Film: A couple of excellent movies I'd already seen, with someone who hadn't yet: Bridge of Spies and Learning to Drive.

DVD: Season 8 of The Murdoch Mysteries, which certainly ended on a cliffhanger. But since I cannot believe the apparent murderer is, I'm left wondering which trope it will be (he's protecting someone who did it, he's protecting someone he thinks did it, it was a completely different person). And I don't (unlike Phryne and Jack) mind Murdoch and Julia getting married - it's about time, in fact.

TV: Supergirl, which I hope is now done with the whole 'oh however can I be super, who am I anyway' phase. I'm liking Kat. The Middle and Modern Family. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. which I'm still enjoying, though it would be nice if someone could have a simple, happy love life for a change. The Librarians, yayayayayay I do love this show. The Muppets, which is uneven but sometimes very funny. And the oddest thing ... somehow (well, I know how; see my previous post) I completely lost track of Dr. Who having started. A friend mentioned it in an email Saturday, so I settled in to binge watch it so far, and there was episode 1, with Missy and Davros and I had seen that.  Weird. Anyway, I watched the whole thing to date and yesssss. I like it. I do wonder that the Doctor would make Ashildr, given how completely horrified/outraged he was by Jack, but perhaps he was just overcome by the moment. She's a good, interesting character, though I've liked her less as a person each time she's shown up, if you know what I mean. Yay the Osgoods! And Clara ... well, she grew on me as the day went on, but not enough to overcome the wildly inconsistent all-things-to-one-Gallifreyan writing of the previous season (seriously, there was not one single character trait that was present in her episodes on a constant basis; it's because she wasn't a character, she was a nifty idea). I'm not broken up about her like I was about Donna or Amy & Rory. But it will certainly be interesting to see how this doctor goes about recovering from losing her.

Read: A massive amount of YA fiction, beginning with the whole Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children trilogy (reread the first one). The Ugly Stepsister. The Blackthorne Key. The London Eye Mystery, which had an interesting narrator. Several by Patrick Ness,beginning with the brilliant The Rest of Us Just Live Here, and then More Than This and A Monster Calls, both very good, and The Knife of Never Letting Go which I didn't care for at all. Other books include the final of the Lunar Chronicles, Winter, which was a fine conclusion. The Straw King, another "Dorothy Must Die" prequel. More episodes of Bookburners and the excellent Indexing. The very funny Master of Formalities. Wake of Vultures which was extremely good. Began The Explorers' Guild: A Passage to Shambala but quit on page 132. It's beautiful (the hardback edition) and well reviewed and yet I find it both repellent and oddly boring. And I have begun Tremontaine, but I don't know how much more of it I'll read, either. Our main characters kill people for entertainment, and that's icky.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->