Monday, December 21, 2015

Did anybody even want to ask him?

So, Parade Magazine had one of their fluffy little pieces sparked by a new movie - in this case, a double profile on Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg because of Daddy's Home. I know it's Parade, and I don't expect hard-hitting journalism, but still. Here's a couple of paragraphs:
“Sometimes marriage can be difficult,” he admits. “We both come from homes of divorce, but we want our marriage to be successful. We work at it. We’ll go to couples counseling. We want to love and support each other, raise our kids and be there for each other in the good times and the bad. We both believe the same things, and we married for the same reasons. She was already Christian, but she converted to Catholicism so we could marry in the church. That’s where I proposed, in the church. When you take those [marriage] vows, you take them very seriously. For me, [keeping them] starts with my doing the right thing in my own home, being a good example, making sure that my kids are raised the right way and do the right thing in the community and the church.”

Catholicism plays a defining role in Wahlberg’s life, and he makes no attempt to hide it. “I feel very welcomed within my church and the parish community,” he says. “I feel comfort . . . peace . . . love.”
Let's pass by the whiff of better-than-you and just focus on that last paragraph.

Did anybody feel like asking him about the fact that he and his wife had three kids before they got married? Anybody? And if not, why not?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 3:06 PM, December 21, 2015 Blogger Barry Leiba had this to say...

Usually, I agree with you on this sort of stuff, but not this time. I think it's not relevant, and I'm glad they didn't ask him.

In this case, it's not all about how he's a great Christian, and I don't think there's a point to putting a challenge to him about that aspect. As the last paragraph says, if he feels welcome, comfort, peace, and love from his church, that's just fine. And if it's important to him to raise his kids well and "do the right thing," that's also fine. In fact, I think the implication that there's nothing wrong about the choices he's made, such as having chosen to have a family without signing legal and religious papers first, is a good thing. Challenging him about that would imply that it's not.

Calling someone out for hypocrisy can actually work against us sometimes.

 
At 4:18 PM, December 23, 2015 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

I see your point. But he's definitely going on about how being married in the church and saying the vows makes your marriage more important.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->