Sunday, December 20, 2015

The Weeks in Entertainment

OMG I can't believe how long it's been. Wow.

Live: A one-man production by Mark Cabus of "A Christmas Carol", which was fine, though a bit heavy on the audience participation (which I much preferred to be warned about before I buy the tickets) and also I couldn't help notice that every single woman character, from the charwoman who tears down Scrooge's bed-curtains to Mrs Cratchitt, was played the same way, with titters and preeny poses - except Belle didn't titter, though it was a near thing.

Film: The Good Dinosaur, cute and in some places beautiful, and very good at tugging the heartstrings, though I wonder if mammalian megafauna would have evolved had dinosaurs remained.  Spotlight, an excellent, low-key but tense, movie, good acting, good story that still enrages. (Whenever anyone says anything about the current pope, I'm reminded that Cardinal Law is still living in Vatican City.) Trumbo, well worth watching, good performances. A couple of quibbles - why did they have to make Edward G. Robinson name names? He never did. And it was a little disconcerting to see Dean O'Gorman, Michael Stuhlbarg and David James Elliott (as Kirk Douglas, Robinson, and John Wayne) alongside the actual Ronald Reagan and other actors. PS: They manage to get O'Gorman to say "I am Spartacus". Dilwale, the first of SRK's movies I've actually seen on the big screen. It's a mixed bag - can't decide what exactly it wants to be - but SRK and Kajol save it. Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which I THOROUGHLY enjoyed.

TV: I'm sure I won't be able to remember everything - certainly I'm up to date on my regular shows, especially The Librarians which has had some wonderful episodes, especially the video-game one. Also the last two episodes of Doctor Who, the penultimate one of which I liked very much and the last one of which ... not so much. It annoys me that they canceled everything good and brave about Clara's end, especially just so they could pair her up with Me - which I flatly refuse to believe would happen. How can Clara forgive Me for her actions in what, to Clara, was just yesterday, especially after learning how long the Doctor was trapped and tormented???!! Bleagh.

Read: Greenstar Season 2 and Season 3. I like where they went in Season 3 especially. Good series. More Bookburners and Indexing. Voices from Chernobyl, very powerful stuff. And Walking With Zeke, by Chris Clarke, whose writing I have always loved. Been reading Michael Palin's Diaries and enjoying them very much.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->