Sunday, May 29, 2016

The Week in Entertainment

Busy with a conference, so not much posting. But OTOH free time! So...

Film: Alice Through the Looking Glass, which I cannot recommend. I've seen worse, but despite the frenetic pace this one is just dull and disappointing. X-Men Apocalypse, which is far from the best X-Men movie but not a bad one at all. Entertaining and even a bit thought-provoking.

DVD: The Expanse, season 1. Very good, well cast and written. Kind of dark - I mean visually. Very dark story-wise ;-). The first three episodes of Childhood's End, which didn't move me to get up and put the second disc in though I can't say why. It seemed a bit ... predictable, maybe? Might not have if I hadn't read the book.

Read: All the rest of the Expanse novels, novellas, and short stories. Wow. How did I miss this when it started? Highly recommended.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 11:36 AM, May 31, 2016 Anonymous Kathie had this to say...

Re "Alice Through the Looking Glass": it's always disappointing when a film or TV show that had the potential to be wonderful fails to live up to its promise.

Speaking of "dark," I thought that both the latest "Grantchester" and the final series of "Wallander" got awfully gloomy as their seasons progressed this spring.

Are the DVDs for the final season of "Inspector Lewis" available yet (since I know you don't wait for PBS)?

 
At 12:02 PM, May 31, 2016 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

Yes. So far only in UK format, but if you have an all-region DVD player, that's no problem.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->