Saturday, October 27, 2007

Once Again, Laurel Post Office Screws Up

You know, I would never say that they built that carrier annex in Laurel in order to do this, but ... now that it is built, they have certainly - at least to all appearance - settled on using it as an excuse to screw up. Whatever happens, the carrier annex blames the main PO, and the main office blames the annex.

I can't tell you the number of times I've scheduled a redelivery, only to have the carrier show up without it, and claim the main office never gave to him. It's been fewer times - but it still happens - that I've shown up to pick up a package only to be told that the carrier didn't drop it off. Their favorite stunt: I schedule a Saturday redelivery and the carrier brings it by on Monday - when I'm not at home, of course. I've finally learned to call over there and see if the package is actually there before I go.

(Why am I making such a big deal out of it? Well, besides the fact that there is a minimum level of competence I expect out of these people, I don't drive. I can get to the post office on a bus, but it eats up two hours, three on Saturday. Or I can take a cab, and spend $10 from the Metro stop at the mall ($20 from home on Saturday) - if I can get a cab. Or I can beg a ride from a friend, which I hate to do.)

So, again, today I wait around for the carrier and when he shows up, he has no package. So I called the 800 number (since of course both the main office in town and the annex are closed by now) and finally managed to get through to a person (thanks, Barry: I had to say it four times before the machine gave up but I did get to one at last). She tried to tell me that no carrier would bring the package on the wrong day; it was all I could do not to laugh loudly and bitterly. I did tell her that I knew for a fact that they would, because they have. So she finally let me file a 'customer will pick up' order.

So, we'll see if the package is there Monday. I will, of course, be calling there Monday morning. Because although I used the word "expect" when I said "there is a minimum level of competence I expect out of these people", that's "expect" in the "consider reasonable, just, proper, due, or necessary" meaning, and certainly not in the "anticipate" or "look for" or "consider probable" meanings...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->