Monday, December 15, 2008

Ah, the annual Christmas grrrrr

Email to Barnes & Noble.com.
I ordered this item last week and was told it would ship on Monday 15 Dec. On Sunday I received an email saying no, it wouldn't ship until Friday 19 Dec. That's no good. However the email said I could cancel the order, so I went on line and did that - the website said it was canceled. I then placed a new order to be shipped to the address where I will be next week. I THEN got an email saying you CAN'T actually cancel the first order.

So, I called Customer Service, and the man who took my call told me he could cancel the first order. But now I have ANOTHER email saying the order can't be canceled. And I can't cancel the second one, either. And the woman who took my second call could only say "I don't know why that email went to you; we can't cancel anything that's in the shipping process."

So now I have two items coming, and $30 less to shop with, and will have to pay shipping to return one of them next year. Or else drive to a B&N store, neither of which is appealing.

I think you should stop sending emails that say orders can be canceled if they can't be, and stop having the website say it's canceled something that isn't canceled. Also, please make sure your customer reps know what they can and can't do. It would be nice, also, if there was an option to change a shipping address on something that's going to be sitting around for five days before it dispatches.
I'm not kidding myself; I'm not going to stop shopping there. It's convenient, and they ship UPS, whose driver comes here after I'm home from work.

But it's damned annoying.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 11:44 AM, December 16, 2008 Blogger Unknown had this to say...

I won't shop there anymore. They did the same thing to me one year at Father's Day. If they promise to ship in a certain amount of time and then change the shipping time, you should be able to cancel the order. I'm not going to support poor customer service. I'll go to a store or order from Amazon instead.

 
At 12:06 PM, December 16, 2008 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

Amazon ships by the post office, which is very inconvenient for me and doesn't even have a phone number. B&N's customer service is usually okay. And since I don't drive, shopping in a physical store isn't very convenient either.

I'll go ahead and shop both places... at least it's not FedEx!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->