Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Why Do I Bird Blog?

I'm not that good at writing to order, but this is the third anniversary of I and the Bird and they want to know: why are you still bird blogging?

I love birds. I enjoy looking at them - and for them. I like trying to catch them on film (you know what I mean), and sometimes not even knowing what I saw until I got the picture big enough to really look at. So that's the main reason I bird blog - because if I put up a picture and ask what are these?, people will answer - even when they're foreign birds! Even if I'm just not sure if it's a male in winter plumage or not, someone is glad to answer. In fact, even if what I'm wondering is how can a bright red bird be so hard to see?, if I say that in my post, someone tells me something I didn't know before.
it's a thrasher not a mystery thrush
There are a lot of birders out there who know more than I do - and they share. What could be better than that?


(So tell me, somebody: what kind of thrush is this? Shot taken on the Cumberland Plateau, July 6)

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 9:43 PM, July 08, 2008 Anonymous Anonymous had this to say...

If it's actually a thrush, it's probably a wood thrush but I'm thinking it's a Brown Thrasher. I'd need a better look at the bill though!

 
At 10:32 PM, July 08, 2008 Blogger John B. had this to say...

I think it's a thrasher, too. It's hard to be sure, but the bill seems slightly curved downward and the tail seems too long for a thrush. The other thing is that the breast seems streaked, while a thrush ought to have spots.

 
At 11:01 PM, July 08, 2008 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

And there you go! Yay!

Unfortunately I took the picture through the window of a car and this is the only one I have.

 
At 11:18 PM, July 09, 2008 Blogger fev had this to say...

"Because the audience likes it"?

Really. Good blogs are sort of like good magazines. You read the "birds" section because if the birds editor thought something was worth writing about, the odds are it'll be worth reading about.

I hope you'll keep it up.

 
At 11:29 PM, July 09, 2008 Blogger The Ridger, FCD had this to say...

Thanks! I will.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

     <-- Older Post                     ^ Home                    Newer Post -->